Tuesday, June 6, 2006

The Lower Library

Our miniatures group met last night, there's only four of us, so our meetings are very laid back. I always set up the kitchen table with plastic covers and those green cutting board thingys on the off chance that someone will feel inspired to work, but it is soon covered with coffee cups, muffins, biccies and dip (all fat free of course)

I'll be in trouble if Marilyn reads this, because she *did* work last night - making fimo lizard eggs for her witches kitchen and Di has been making wooly things for her miniature yarn shop. Gail was 'researching' through my miniatures library and I was 'thinking' about my project (but I did cook muffins - it's hard to cook and think at the same time)

I've decided to continue with the Discworld theme - Terry Pratchett has provided enough fodder to keep me going for a long time - I'm adding a lower floor to the Unseen University Library and decided to photograph the lower floor as it progresses - working backwards because I still have to photograph the library itself.

I'm still not sure what to put in there - I thought of stacks for the library but I am SO over making little books (I made several hundred for the library)

I might move the Alchemist's Guild into it.

I'm using mirrors again at each end of the centre hall so that they reflect back on each other creating the illusion of long corridors and extra rooms - this is looking down into it -
that is real slate on the floor, dug from a bulldozed pile of rubble on a friends property.

lower library - 1/12 scale miniature

this next shows the position of the two mirrors at the end of the corridor, they reflect through the door of the small room, the mirror on the left has another backing it which reflects along the corridor to the same set up at the other end (does that make sense?)

lower library - 1/12 scale miniature

In the next photo I'm using a torch to experiment with lighting,

lower library - 1/12 scale miniature

and this is what it will look like from the small room

lower library - 1/12 scale miniature

In the next picture the torch is over the centre passageway

lower library - 1/12 scale miniature

When this is seen from the other side of the building, the mirrors give the illusion of an L shaped corridor

lower library - 1/12 scale miniature

so now I have to pin DH down to installing the lighting, and then decide what is going into the rooms.

technorati tag:

1 comment:

Wendie-kins said...

what an ingeniously clever idea with the mirrors!!! :o)